The Bettr Holistic Programme adopts a whole-person approach towards development and well-being, supporting and empowering all participants to become better versions of themselves whilst pursuing a professional coffee career.
With thanks to Ellie Wen and Greg Katz for this video, originally on SoulPancake.
A huge part of what we do goes towards running an adapted 4-month programme that we've developed to empower disadvantaged women and youth in our community.
We go beyond work skills, adopting a whole-person approach that combines professional coffee education with life and emotional management skills, and physical training.
From paid attachments and permanent job placements with our specialty cafe partners, to mentorship opportunities as part of our active alumni community, we help our students to rise above difficult life situations, take responsibility for their own futures and ultimately become better versions of themselves.
We work year-round with social service organisations, family service centres and other community groups to identify potential participants.
Holistic Training Programme (4 Months)
For: Women aged 17-50 and youth-at-risk (including men)
We work with vulnerable women and youth, imparting professional and emotional management skills to help them conquer challenges, realise their full potential and pave the way for long-term careers in specialty coffee.
Making a good cup of coffee is more than just pressing a button. It takes skill, lots of practice for consistency and a little flair. Students in our Programme learn the art and science of making that perfect cup, in a nurturing environment that encourages interaction and mutual exchange with people from all walks of life, and supports their ongoing development and growth.
Our Programme adopts a whole-person approach that focuses on the following areas:
- Mental: Professional barista education, paid apprenticeship at our partnering specialty cafes, as well as opportunities for international certifications through continued education.
- Emotional: Emotional empowerment and coping/life management skills to help with conflict management and confidence building.
- Physical: Multi-dimension physical training including self-defence, yoga, outrigger canoeing and rock climbing to encourage socialisation, teamwork and foster camaraderie.
Attend a full briefing session to Learn more about our Holistic Training Programme & have all your questions answered
We regularly hold free informational coffee chat sessions throughout the year for social service organisations and their clients, where we share in-depth and up-to-date details about the Programme and application process.
Reasons to attend our coffee chat:
- Experience a tour of our Academy and learning environment
- Enjoy a cup of specialty coffee at our Tasting Bar, artfully brewed by our Bettr Baristas
- Meet and interact directly with our Social Programmes Manager and team
- Receive the most up-to-date Programme information, including new initiatives
- Have all your questions answered in detail
- It's free and open to all counsellors/social workers, your clients and their families
Opportunities under the Bettr Barista Holistic Training Programme
- Undergo world-class professional training from internationally-certified instructors and industry experts.
- Potential to earn up to S$3,200 over the course of the Programme, with Bettr Barista or our specialty cafe partners, while gaining valuable on-the-job experience.
- Support in finding employment upon graduating, either with the Bettr Group, our partner organisations, or by running your own startup.
- Access to alumni group, which continues to support Programme graduates with further industry exposure, via Bettr Barista's community events and operations.
How To Apply - By Referral Only
- Attend one of the free Coffee Chat briefing sessions that we conduct throughout the year.
- Get a referral from a social service organisation (your family service centre counsellor or social worker).
- Complete our application form and attend 1 to 2 rounds of interviews (for shortlisted candidates).
Holistic Training Programme FEE: S$3,500.00
Note: Bettr Barista gives subsidies of up to 92% to qualifying Programme participants, based on case-by-case assessment of financial need.
We only accept applications for the Holistic Programme via referral from a social service organisation, counsellor or social worker.
With thanks to Catalyst Asia for this documentary.