The Bettr Holistic Training Programme adopts a whole-person approach towards development and well-being, supporting and empowering all participants to be the best versions of themselves whilst pursuing a professional coffee career.
With thanks to Ellie Wen and Greg Katz for this video, originally on SoulPancake.
A huge part of what we do goes towards running an adapted 6-month programme that we've developed to empower disadvantaged women and youth in our community.
We go beyond work skills, adopting a whole-person approach that combines professional coffee education with life and emotional management skills, and physical training.
From paid attachments and permanent job placements with our specialty cafe partners, to mentorship opportunities as part of our active alumni community, we help our students to rise above difficult life situations, take responsibility for their own futures and ultimately become better versions of themselves.
We work year-round with social service organisations, family service centres and other community groups to identify potential participants.
Holistic Training Programme (6 Months)
For: Women aged 17-50 and youth-at-risk (including men)
We work with vulnerable women and youth, imparting professional and emotional management skills to help them conquer challenges, realise their full potential and pave the way for long-term careers in specialty coffee.
Making a good cup of coffee is more than just pressing a button. It takes skill, lots of practice for consistency and a little flair. Students in our Programme learn the art and science of making that perfect cup, in a nurturing environment that encourages interaction and mutual exchange with people from all walks of life, and supports their ongoing development and growth.
Our Programme adopts a whole-person approach that focuses on the following areas:
- Mental: Professional barista education, paid apprenticeship at our partnering specialty cafes, as well as opportunities for international certifications through continued education.
- Emotional: Emotional empowerment and coping/life management skills to help with conflict management and confidence building.
- Physical: Multi-dimension physical training including self-defence, yoga, outrigger canoeing an d rock climbing to encourage socialisation, teamwork and foster camaraderie.
With thanks to Catalyst Asia for this documentary.
Opportunities under the Bettr Barista Holistic Training Programme
- Undergo world-class professional training from internationally-certified instructors and industry experts.
- Potential to earn up to S$1,200 during internship with Bettr Barista's specialty cafe partners, while gaining valuable on-the-job experience.
- Support in finding employment upon graduating, either with the Bettr Group, our partner organisations, or by running your own startup.
- Membership and access to our Alumni Mentorship Circle, which continues to support Programme attendees and encourages graduates to give back by mentoring new Programme participants. Alumni also have access to free activities (personal finance talks, job interview workshops, computer productivity classes etc).
- Gain industry exposure via Bettr Barista's community events and operations.
How To Apply - By Referral Only
- Attend one of the (free) Coffee Chat briefing sessions that we conduct throughout the year.
- Get a referral from a social service organisation (your family service centre counsellor or social worker).
- Complete our application form and attend 1 to 2 rounds of interviews (for shortlisted candidates).
Holistic Training Programme FEE: S$300.00
Note: The above fee is AFTER a subsidy of S$3,200 has been given to each qualifying Programme participant (i.e. the full course fee is S$3,500).
Applications for this Programme are accepted only by referral from a social service organisation. Please contact us using the form below if you would like more information about our Holistic Training Programme and the application process.