SCA roasting Skills - Professional
23 - 26 April (4 dayS) with guest instructor, rob hoos
For: Career roasters, baristas and coffee professionals looking to advance their knowledge and skill in roasting
This is an advanced course so we recommend that you have reasonable experience working in this field before attempting this level.
This course is designed to introduce the roasting professional to the core skills and equipment required to produce great roasted coffee.
The Professional course will look at aspects including:
- Green coffee properties and chemistry
- Fundamental chemistry of coffee
- Physics of coffee roasting
- Physical changes in the coffee bean
- Chemical reactions during the roasting process
- Sensory evaluation of roasted coffee
- Elements of a coffee roasting business
- Roastery management principles
- Manufacturing efficiency and capital expenditure
- It is mandatory to hold the SCA Roasting Skills - Intermediate certification. We also highly recommend that students should have completed the SCA Sensory Skills - Intermediate and SCA Green Coffee - Intermediate certifications. Students are required to have all the knowledge and skills from these and may be tested on them during the practical and/or written assessments.
- In order to sit for the SCA Roasting Skills Professional exam, there needs to be at least a 3-month gap from the date of the Intermediate exam.
- Experienced coffee roasters who do not wish to take the exams are welcome to sign up for this Professional class.
- Learners are welcome to bring their own roasting equipment and green coffees to class.
Early Bird COURSE FEE until 23 March 2018:
S$1,700 (INCLUDING GST, usual $1,900)
The course fee includes 1 written and 1 practical test. Any subsequent retests will be charged as follows:
- Written retest - S$40
- Practical retest - S$350
We require a minimum number of 7 learners to run each class. If the number of sign-ups does not meet this requirement, learners will be notified and have their class rescheduled to the next available date. Please visit our FAQ page to learn more about rescheduling/cancellation policies.
Guest Instructor, Rob Hoos
Rob is an independent coffee roasting consultant who has worked with a variety of businesses, roaster manufacturers, and coffees.
His book, “Modulating the Flavor Profile of Coffee - One Roaster’s Manifesto” sold over 1,600 copies in over 20 countries in its first 3 months.
Rob brings a wealth of experience, having started out as a barista and working for years as a barista trainer. He is a subject matter expert for the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) and has devoted the bulk of his professional and personal attention to coffee buying and roasting.
Rob is not only a Roaster’s Guild Level 1 & 2 Certificate holder, but is also a specialised lead instructor for the SCA who has taught nationally and internationally. He also serves on the Roaster’s Pathway Committee and works on curriculum development for SCA and Roaster's Guild classes.
Coffee is both a passion and profession for Rob, and he works with his clients and students to roast coffee that is not only an expression of their own style and preference, but something that their customers will love.