SCA Introduction to coffee (6 hours, 9am - 3 pm)
For: Coffee lovers, working coffee professionals, those who are new to specialty coffee
This course is designed to introduce newbies to the world of specialty coffee, offering basic knowledge for a better understanding of this magical bean.
Learn about coffee’s journey from its origins in Ethiopia to the major commodity it is today. From growing the cherries through grading, roasting, and brewing, this module provides an overview of the coffee value chain.
Learners can look forward to:
- A deeper understanding of the world of specialty coffee and the differences between specialty and traditional coffee
- The journey from seed to cup (with insights from our origin trips)
- Sharpening your olfactory and tasting abilities
- Understanding coffee aromas and flavours
- An introduction to cupping and sample cupping
- An introduction to the Bettr Barista Education Ecosystem and learning paths for your coffee journey
Introduction to Specialty Coffee: 9 - 11.30am
- The World of Specialty Coffee
- Origins of Coffee
- Coffee Tasting
- Coffee Extraction
Understanding Specialty Coffee: 12.30 - 3pm
- Exploring Similarities and Differences between Specialty Coffee and Singapore's Local Kopi
- Historical Development of Coffee
- Processing at Origin
- Introduction to Cupping
- Sample Cupping and Scoring
COURSE FEE: S$360 (INCLUDING GST)
The course fee includes the Specialty Coffee Association Introduction To Coffee certification exam (1 written test that is conducted at the end of class), which can be taken to earn an internationally-recognised certification.
Any subsequent retests will be charged as follows:
- Written retest - S$40
We require a minimum number of 3 learners to run each class. If the number of sign-ups does not meet this requirement, learners will be notified and have their class rescheduled to the next available date. Please visit our FAQ page to learn more about rescheduling/cancellation policies.