Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) Brewing Skills
The study of Brewing introduces learners to the different ways of brewing coffee, from Chemex and siphon to clever dripper and French press. In addition, this module allows learners to get hands-on and learn to analyse your grind profile, match your grind to your brewing method and to scientifically measure coffee strength and chart a coffee’s extraction.
Brewing can be studied at three different levels:
- Foundation* introduces the beginner to the different ways of brewing coffee, from Chemex and siphon to clever dripper and French press;
- Intermediate* is very much a hands-on workshop where you will learn to analyse your grind profile, match your grind to your brewing method and to scientifically measure coffee strength and chart a coffee’s extraction;
- Professional takes the scientific knowledge a stage further, covering the impact of temperature on brewing, acidity levels during the brewing process, the impact of water quality on coffee brewing and flavour and understanding how to chart espresso and brew within a given extraction percentage.
*SkillsFuture credit can be applied towards both SCA Brew Foundation and Intermediate courses.
WHAT GOES INTO A BETTR LEARNING EXPERIENCE?
- 6,000 square feet of learning and workshop space, including an SCA-certified Cupping Lab and a micro roastery.
- Quality hands-on time for all students - with dedicated brew stations and equipment - so there's no need to share!
- Student-only access to our Barista Lab and Roaster Lab for extra practice time on our machines, with packages that include guided practice sessions with a trainer.
- Our passion for all things coffee AND our love of lifelong learning.
- ACTA-qualified adult educators who are SCA-certified industry professionals/specialists.
- An incredible amount of thought and attention towards developing - and constantly refining - our curricula, in order to deliver learning experiences that aren't your average cup of joe.